It is a state largely defined as stable with dependable governance. Telangana is relatively a new entrant on the scene in terms of governance landscape, geographical and political entity as well as the SKOCH State of Governance Assessment. Interestingly, the young state steered by Chief Minister K Chandrashekhar Rao has come to be recognised as a consistent performer since inception in 2014, moving up against some much older, well-established governance heavy-hitters.
The state is ranked #6 in SKOCH State of Governance Report Card 2021. Telangana, based on its consistent performance in governance has featured amongst Top-10 since 2018.
#2 in Police & Safety
Telangana has improved its rank to #2 for Police & Safety in 2021 from #5 in 2020. Some of the notable projects that performed well include ICJS integration with CCTNS (EeCOPs Application – Crime Investigation & Prosecution); TS-COP Mobile App; Electronic Surveillance (CCTV System); TS e-Challan – an Evidence-based Traffic Enforcement System; and, Police Pre-Recruitment Training Programme.
#4in District Governance
Telangana has improved its rank in District Governance to #4 in 2021, up from #9 in 2020. District Kothagudem has done well in 2021, with projects such as e-Governance in District Administration Bhadradri Kothagudem and Better Healthcare facilities for Tribal Families.
Telangana has come in second for Women & Child Development for 2021. The Telangana State Online Beneficiary Management & Monitoring System (TSOBMMS) For Welfare of Disabled Department is recognised for the change it has brought about. It has performed better in Transport in 2021, to be at #3. The Anywhere Anytime Online Services Through T-App Folio Mobile App has helped the Transport regain its momentum. The state remained unranked in 2020.
Water sector remained unranked in 2020 but made a huge comeback to be at #4 in 2021. The Telangana State Ground Water Level Data Monitoring for Assessment of Gw regime status project is an important initiative. In Urban Development the state is ranked #5. The Telangana State Building Permission Approval and Self-Certification System is found to be an important initiative.
3 New Sectors
The state is ranked #1 in Handlooms & Textiles. The 40%-Input Subsidy Linked Wage Compensation Scheme and the Telangana Textile and Apparel Policy (T-TAP) are credited with the state’s strong performance in the sector. Telangana secured the second place in Irrigation. Mission Kakatiya is a highly impactful Irrigation project for 2021. It is ranked #3 for Labour. The Online Services initiative by the Department of Labour is helping push the sector forward.
Sectors with Maximum Improvement - Telangana
Police & Safety
Power & Energy
• In Police & Safety, Telangana improved its rank from No 5 to No 1 in 2021
• In Power & Energy, Telangana has improved its rank from No 5 to No 4 in 2021
• In District Administration, Telangana improved its rank from No 9 to No 4 in 2021
• In Municipal Governance, Telangana has improved its rank from No 10 to No 8 in 2021
Sectors with Comeback - Telangana
Women & Child Development
• In Women & Child Development, Telangana has make comeback in ranks from No 4 in 2017 to No 2 in 2021
• In Transport, Telangana has make comeback in ranks from No 6 in 2019 to No 3 in 2021
• In Water, Telangana has make comeback in ranks from No 2 in 2019 to No 4 in 2021
• In Urban Development, Telangana has make comeback in ranks to No 5 in 2021
First Time Participants Getting National Rank - Telangana
Handlooms & Textiles
• Even though participating for the first time, some sectors of Telangana are ranked in the top positions.
• The state was ranked No 3 in Labour, No 1 in Handlooms & Textiles and No 2 in Irrigation
Impactful Projects for State of Governance 2021 - Telangana
Inclusion is the first magazine dedicated to exploring issues at the intersection of development agendas and digital, financial and social inclusion. The magazine makes complex policy analyses accessible for a diverse audience of policymakers, administrators, civil society and academicians. Grassroots-focused, outcome-oriented analysis is the cornerstone of the work done at Inclusion.