H Purushotham, CMD receiving the Skoch-BSE Award 2016 from Neeraj Kulshrestha, Chief of Business Operations, BSE
National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) was established in 1953 by the Government of India, with the primary objective to promote, develop and commercialise the technologies/know-how/inventions/patents/processes emanating from various national R&D institutions/Universities with a vision to be a leading technology transfer organisations in India.
During the past six decades of its existence and in pursuance of its corporate goals, NRDC has forged strong links with the scientific and industrial community in India and abroad and developed a wide network of research institutions, academia and industry and made formal arrangements with them for the commercialisation of know-how developed in their laboratories. It is now recognised as a large repository of wide range of technologies spread over almost all areas of industries, viz, Agriculture, Agro-processing, Chemicals including Pesticides, Drugs, Pharmaceuticals, Bio-technology, Metallurgy, Electronics, Building Materials, Mechanical and Electronics etc.
It has licensed the indigenous technology to more then 4,800 entrepreneurs and helped to establish a large number of Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs). NRDC also undertakes number of activities under its structured promotional programme for encouragement and advancement of research, promotion of inventions and innovations such as meritorious inventions awards, techno-commercial support, technical and financial assistance for IPR protection and so on.
NRDC is recognised, particularly in the developing countries, as the source of reliable appropriate technology, machines and services, which are typically suitable for these countries.
- Programme for Inspiring Inventors and Innovators (PIII):
- Promotion & Propagation of Inventions and Innovations.
- Intellectual Property & Innovation Facilitation.
- Intellectual Property & Technology Facilitation Centre.
- NRDC-University Facilitation Innovation Centers.
- Patent Search, Assistance & Seminars.
- Technology Knowledge Management Programme.
- Techno-commercial Support to Scientists and Innovators.
- Programme for Development of Technology Inspiring For Commercialisation (PDTC):
- Digital Knowledge Base for Commercialisation of Innovations.
- Membership & Subscription.
- Technology Value Addition.
- Basic Engineering Design Package.
- Development Projects and value addition for priority projects.
- Promotion of Innovation in Rural & North East Region.
- Entrepreneurship Development Programme in backward areas.
- Certified Organic Fruits Cultivation & Processing Programme at Mizoram.
- IPR Management
- Technology Management
- Mentoring Services
- Value added services
- Feasibility Reports
- Regulatory Assistance
- Skill Development/EDP/Cluster Development
- Limited Angel/Seed Fund
- Over 4,800 technology license agreements signed
- Over 2,000 technologies available for commercialisation
- 890 Innovations awarded
- Promoted IP culture nationwide through 350 awareness programmes and filed more than 1,700 patents
- Over 50,000 scientists/technocrats sensitised on IPR
- Established network with other countries for promotion like Ghana, Ivory Cost, Japan and Argentina
- Provided financial assistance for:
- Basic Engineering Design Package (BEDP): 60
- Market Survey Report (MSR): 250
- University Innovation Facilitation Center (UIFC): 4
- Intellectual Property Facilitation Center (IPFC): 1
Considering the vast experience of NRDC in innovation management, DIPP made it part of the Secretariat of Inter Ministerial Board of Start-up India Action Plan to assist it in appraising the Startup India proposals for their innovation content.