Uttar Pradesh has placed seventh in the SKOCH State of Governance 2021 Report Card. The #7 ranking means Uttar Pradesh is a ‘Performer’ state. The Top 5 states are called ‘Star’ states, the next five are classified as ‘Performer’ states and the five after that are the ‘Catching Up’ states, followed by ‘Others’. These categories depict how well a state is doing individually as well as in relation to others for the year.
Uttar Pradesh has improved steadily in recent times, for the most part. From a #12 rank in 2018 to the #11 position in 2019 and then #6 in 2020, Uttar Pradesh has quickly come to be recognised as a state on the fast-track to growth. That said, the state has experienced a small setback from 2020 to 2021, falling one ranking spot to #7 in 2021.
Uttar Pradesh has performed well in many governance sectors in 2021. It has featured in the Top 3 states in the sectors of Cooperation, eGovernance, Finance & Revenue, Geology & Mining, Municipal Governance, Sanitation, Transport and Urban Development.
• Uttar Pradesh has ranked No 7 in 2021
• Uttar Pradesh has already scored 82% its 5-year cumulative score, from year 2014-2019, in just 2 years i.e., from 2020-2021
Sectors with Maximum Improvement - Uttar Pradesh
• In eGovernance, Uttar Pradesh has improved its rank from No 4 to No 3
• In Municipal Governance, Uttar Pradesh has improved its rank from No11 to No 2
• In Sanitation, Uttar Pradesh has improved its rank from No 6 to No 3
• In Health, Uttar Pradesh has improved its rank from No 9 to No 4
• In Transport, Uttar Pradesh has improved its rank from No 8 to No 3
Sectors with Comeback - Uttar Pradesh
Finance & Revenue
Power & Energy
• In Finance & Revenue, Uttar Pradesh has make comeback in ranks from No 4 in 2018 to No 2 in 2021
• In Power & Energy, Uttar Pradesh has make comeback in ranks from No 5 in 2018 to No 4 in 2021
First Time Participants Getting National Rank - Uttar Pradesh
Ease of Doing Business
Geology & Mining
• Even though participating for the first time, some sectors of Maharashtra are ranked in the top positions.
• The state was ranked No 1 in Labour, No 2 in Handlooms & Textiles and No 4 in Water
• Labour, Handlooms & Textiles, Power & Energy, Irrigation and Police & Safety are sectors which have seen enhanced focus in 2021 than from year 2020
• Compared to its score and rank in 2019, Maharashtra has shown a decline in score and its rank has reached No 5 position in 2021
Inclusion is the first magazine dedicated to exploring issues at the intersection of development agendas and digital, financial and social inclusion. The magazine makes complex policy analyses accessible for a diverse audience of policymakers, administrators, civil society and academicians. Grassroots-focused, outcome-oriented analysis is the cornerstone of the work done at Inclusion.