Madhya Pradesh is the #8 ranking state in the SKOCH State of Governance 2021 report card. The state is categorised as a ‘Performer’ state. The Top 5 states each year are known as ‘Star’ states. The next give states, ranking from #6 to #10, are known as ‘Performers’.
Madhya Pradesh has made the list as a ‘Performer’ state for a couple of years in a row now. The state was ranked #10 in 2018, before climbing up three places to the #7 spot in 2019. This was followed by more progress to the #5 spot in 2020.
The state has made incredible progress in the past year, climbing up an impressive 14 spots from its position in 2020. Though Madhya Pradesh’s performance between 2018 and 2021 has been marked by peaks and dips, the overall trend is one of improvement. Madhya Pradesh ranked #27 in 2018 and rose up to #14 in 2019 before falling to #23 in 2020. The climb up to #9 in 2021 speaks to the state’s dedication to good governance practices. In 2021, the state has fallen down three places to the #8 spot, but it continues to rank in the Top 10 and make a positive impact as a good governance example.
The state has done well in several governance niches in 2021. Madhya Pradesh has ranked #1 in Cooperation and also in Tourism & Culture, #2 in District Administration, Forest & Environment, Health and #3 in Sports & Youth.
• Madhya Pradesh has ranked No 8 in 2021
• Madhya Pradesh has scored 1/3rd of its 5-year cumulative score, from year 2014-2019, in just 2 years i.e., from 2020-2021
Sectors with Maximum Improvement - Uttar Pradesh
Finance & Revenue
• In Health, Madhya Pradesh has improved its rank from No 10 in 2019 to No 2 in 2021
• In Education, Madhya Pradesh has retained its rank from No 4 in 2019 to No 4 in 2021
• In District Administration, Madhya Pradesh improved its rank from No 6 to No 2 in 2021
• In Sanitation, Madhya Pradesh has improved its rank from No 4 to No 3 in 2021
• In Transport, Madhya Pradesh has improved its rank No 3 in 2021
• In Finance & Revenue, Madhya Pradesh has improved its rank No 4 in 2021
First Time Participants Getting National Rank - Uttar Pradesh
Tourism & Culture
Forest & Environment
Sports & Youth
Social Justice & Social Sector
Ease of Doing Business
• Even though participating for the first time, some sectors of Maharashtra are ranked in the top positions.
• The state was ranked No 1 in Tourism & Culture, No 2 in Forest & Environment, No 3 in Sports & Youth, Social Justice & Social Sector & Textiles and No 5 in Ease of Doing Business
• Tourism & Culture, Sports & Youth, Social Justice & Social Security, Forest & Environment, Education, Ease of Doing Business and Police & Safety are sectors which have seen enhanced focus in 2021 than from year 2020
• Compared to its score and rank in 2019, Madhya Pradesh has shown an increase in score. Madhya Pradhesh has ranked at No 8 on 2021.
Inclusion is the first magazine dedicated to exploring issues at the intersection of development agendas and digital, financial and social inclusion. The magazine makes complex policy analyses accessible for a diverse audience of policymakers, administrators, civil society and academicians. Grassroots-focused, outcome-oriented analysis is the cornerstone of the work done at Inclusion.