Brimming with huge vista of hope and aspirations to enhance milk production in West Bengal by improving the qualitative and quantitative breeding of bovine population, Paschim Banga Go-Sampad Bikash Sanstha (PBGSBS) was formed as the State Implementing Agency under the aegis of Animal Resources Development Department in the year 2002. After the formation of PBGSBS and introduction of private workforce named Pranibandhu, crossbreeding and upgrading of local indigenous breed through artificial insemination with high Genetic Merit Jersey or Holstein and Gir or Sahiwal Bulls gained a tremendous momentum in the State.
The objectives of PBGSBS is to cover 60 per cent of 69 lakh breedable bovines under organised breeding network by 2021-22; to produce, procure and supply quality breeding inputs and services to farmers; to provider services to farmers’ doorstep; to develop synergies with and ensure participation of all concerned agencies; and, immunisation and female cattle insurance for all. The target is to reach out to cover 341 blocks and about 45 lakh farmers in the state.
- Processes were not streamlined, different processes in different offices.
- The target of Artificial Insemination (AI) was increased from 35.41 lakhs in 2011-12 and to 80.00 lakhs by 2021-22. But there was no such suitable network to maintain huge database for evaluation, monitoring of physical and financial implication.
- Each year about 10-11 lakh high producing calves were born. But no such infrastructure for reporting these huge number of calves and scientific monitoring their health, led to huge loss of valuable calves.
- From 2012-13, about 50,000 female cattle were insured each year but there was no such system for tracking claim status, claim settlement status etc. for effective evaluation of the project.
- Risk of IT system replacing manpower.
- e-Services awareness.
- Risk of information loss.
- Process simplification and re-engineering communication.
e-PBGSBS is developed as a web-enabled application with backend database. Various online e-services are being delivered through e-PBGSBS portal to all stakeholders including state level, district level, block level, Kitbank level, Gram Panchayat level, Pranibandhu and co-operative AI worker (village level) and farmers. It also included SMS based reporting from block level covering all 341 blocks; animal registration and AI; AI worker registration and related activities through web; animal insurance management; and, inventory management of frozen semen straw in Kitbank from state level to Gram Panchayat level.
- Online registration of breedable bovine population through SMS.
- 24X7 real time AI activities monitoring.
- Evaluation of physical and financial implication of the bovine breeding activities.
- Scientific Bovine breeding management through SMS alert and subsequent reply of the AI workers and farmers.
- Real-time calves born report through SMS.
- Registration of all private AI worker of the state.
- Maintenance of all records of all private AI worker of the state.
- Registration of all Animal Health Centres.
- Performance analysis all AI Centres.
- Release of performance incentive to AI worker on the basis of number of calves born.
- Online registration of livestock farmers.
- 24X7 Online Registrations of Heifers of Avijan Project.
- System for tracking claim status, claim settlement status of livestock insurance scheme.
- Management of pedigree on bulls.
- Weekly reporting of important ARD activities from the block-level through SMS.