Maharashtra’s focus and priorities remain on critical governance sectors including Urban Development, Disaster Management and Energy while improving overall citizen experience and satisfaction. The state led by Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, has been a consistent performer on SKOCH State of Governance charts. It ranks #5 nationally in SKOCH State of Governance 2021 report card. It was at #7 in 2020. It has, in the last five years, consistently remained amongst Top-10 states.
The Municipal Governance continues to be a top priority for Maharashtra year after year. Maharashtra has ranked #1 in Municipal Governance since 2019 onwards.
Thane has performed well in 2021, with Digi-Thane project being recognised as one of the most impactful in the sector.
Maharashtra has ranked #2 in the Women & Child Development with Tarang Suposhit Maharashtra as an important initiative.
3 Important Sectors
#1 in Power & Energy
Maharashtra grew from nil rank in Power & Energy in 2019 to #6 in 2020. This growth has continued in 2021 with the state climbing up to the #1. Important projects include the Enabling Best-in-Class Data Connectivity for Economic Growth initiative and the MSETCL AMR Project.
The state ranked #6 in Transport in 2019. The next year, 2020, the state progressed to the #3 rank. This upward trajectory has continued in 2021, with Maharashtra ranking #2. The Dealer Point Registration of Vehicles is the most impactful of the projects.
#4in Police & Safety
It is ranked #4 in 2021, up from #6 in 2020. It was at #10 in 2019. Improvement in Performance by Improving Quality of Training initiative by the Police Training Centre, Nanveej-Daund is a pioneering effort.
Maharashtra has participated in 4 new sectors in which its performance has been good. The state has achieved a rank in the Top-5 in the following sectors.
The state participated for the first time in the Water segment and made it to Top-5 with 4th rank. Its efforts in establishing the Jumbo Covid Hospital (MMRDA) is the most impactful in Urban Development category, which is at #1.
The state secured #2 rank in Handloom & Textiles with Maha Reshim Abhiyan. With Rural Development at 2 in 2021, the state has done well in Liability Register Payment System and Zila Parishad Fund Monitoring System.
Sectors with Maximum Improvement - Maharashtra
Power & Energy
Women & Child Development
Police & Safety
• In Power & Energy, Maharashtra has improved its rank from No 6 to No 1
• In Urban Development, Maharashtra improved its rank to No 1
• In Rural Development, Maharashtra has improved its rank to No 2
• In Women & Child Development, Maharashtra has improved its rank from No 3 to No 2
• In Transport, Maharashtra has improved its rank from No 3 to No 2 with an uptrend in sectoral score
• In Sanitation, Maharashtra has improved its rank from No 6 to No 3
• In Police & Safety, Maharashtra has improved its rank from No 6 to No 4 with an uptrend in sectoral score
• In Agriculture, Maharashtra has improved its rank to No 5 in 2021
• In District Administration, Maharashtra has improved its rank from No 17 to No 14
Sectors with Consistent Good Governance - Maharashtra
• In Municipal Governance, Maharashtra has sustained its rank No 1 in 2020 & also No 1 in 2021
First Time Participants Getting National Rank - Maharashtra
Handlooms & Textiles
• Even though participating for the first time, some sectors of Maharashtra are ranked in the top positions.
• The state was ranked No 1 in Labour, No 2 in Handlooms & Textiles and No 4 in Water
Impactful Projects for State of Governance 2021 - Maharashtra
Beacons of Hope Project Link
Enabling Best-in-Class Data Connectivity for Economic Growth.
Maharashtra State Electricity Transmission Company Limited
Inclusion is the first magazine dedicated to exploring issues at the intersection of development agendas and digital, financial and social inclusion. The magazine makes complex policy analyses accessible for a diverse audience of policymakers, administrators, civil society and academicians. Grassroots-focused, outcome-oriented analysis is the cornerstone of the work done at Inclusion.