Odisha believes in working more and talking less. It has been a silent performer improving its governance delivery to its citizens. In the SKOCH State of Governance 2021 report, the state has emerged as a force to be reckoned with. Under the dynamic leadership of its Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, the state has shown remarkable improvements across several governance priorities during 2021. This has resulted in its stellar performance that has helped it to secure the national rank #3 in 2021, up from #8 in 2020.
The following factors have contributed significantly to Odisha’s remarkable showing in 2021. It has ranked #1 in Disaster Management for 2021. Very Severe Cyclone ‘YAAS’ Management and e-Mutation are two impactful projects from the sector. Agriculture continues to be a significant governance priority, where it has ranked #2.
Improvements in Water and Sanitation
#1 in Water
Odisha has shown maximum improvement in the Water sector, climbing up 3 spots from #4 in 2020 to #1 in 2021. Mukhya Mantri Adibandha Tiari Yojana (MATY) is a notable project.
#2 in Sanitation
Odisha’s improvement in sanitation is defined by a jump of 4 spots, from #6 in in 2019 and 2020 to #2 in 2021.
New Sectors Setting the Record
Odisha has managed a spot in the Top-10 for the first time in several sectors.
#1 in Women & Child Development
The department has implemented several momentous projects, the most impactful of which have been Ghare Arunima – Integrated Child Development Services, Child Marriage Free Village Initiative through Nirvaya Kadhi and MoChhatua.
#1 in Forest & Environment
Kendu Leaves—‘The Green Gold of Odisha’ is the project behind the state’s high ranking.
#1 in Irrigation
Two important projects from Irrigation are the Mega Lift Irrigation Project and Cluster Deep Borewells under The Scheme “Biju Krushak Vikash Yojana”.
Odisha is also ranked #1 in Social Justice & Security; Infrastructure; #2 in Education, Skill Development; #3 in Animal Husbandry and Fisheries, Finance & Revenue, Handlooms & Textiles, Labour, Sports, Tourism and Culture; #4 in Ease-of-Doing Business; and #7 in Power & Energy.
Sectors with Maximum Improvement - Odisha
• In Disaster Management, Odisha has improved its rank from No 2 to No 1
• In Sanitation, Odisha has improved its rank from No 6 to No 2
• In Water, Odisha has improved its rank from No 4 to No 1
Sectors with Consistent Good Governance - Odisha
• In Agriculture, Odisha has sustained its rank No 2 in 2020 & also No 2 in 2021
Sectors with Comeback - Odisha
Finance & Revenue
Power & Energy
Social Justice & Social Security
• In Finance & Revenue, Odisha has make comeback in ranks to No 4 in 2021
• In Education, Odisha has ranked No 2 in 2021
• In Power & Energy, Odisha has ranked No 7 in 2021
• In Skill Development, Odisha has make comeback in ranks from No 4 in 2018 to No 2 in 2021
• In Social Justice & Social Security, Odisha has make comeback in ranks from No 3 in 2017 to No 1 in 2021
First Time Participants Getting National Rank - Odisha
Governance (General Administration)
Tourism & Culture
Animal Husbandry & Fisheries
Ease of Doing Business
Forest & Environment
Geology & Mining
Handlooms & Textiles
Sports & Youth
Women & Child Development
• Even though participating for the first time, some sectors of Odisha are ranked in the top positions.
• The state was ranked No 5 in Governance (General Administration), No 1 in Infrastructure, No 1 in Irrigation, No 3 Tourism & Culture, No 3 in Animal Husbandry & Fisheries, No 4 in Ease of Doing Business, No 1 in Forest & Environment, No 2 in Geology & Mining, No 3 in Handlooms & Textiles, No 3 in Sports & Youth, No 3 in Labour and No 1 in Women & Child development
Impactful Projects for State of Governance 2021 - Odisha
Inclusion is the first magazine dedicated to exploring issues at the intersection of development agendas and digital, financial and social inclusion. The magazine makes complex policy analyses accessible for a diverse audience of policymakers, administrators, civil society and academicians. Grassroots-focused, outcome-oriented analysis is the cornerstone of the work done at Inclusion.