Assam has ranked #9 in the SKOCH State of Governance 2021 Report Card. It is classified as a ‘Performer State’. The Top 5 states are classified as ‘Star States’ and the next 5 ranking positions are the Performers.
The state has made incredible progress in the past year, climbing up an impressive 14 spots from its position in 2020. Though Assam’s performance between 2018 and 2021 has been marked by peaks and dips, the overall trend is one of improvement. Assam ranked #27 in 2018 and rose up to #14 in 2019 before falling to #23 in 2020. The climb up to #9 in 2021 speaks to the state’s dedication to good governance practices.
Assam has performed well in many governance sectors in 2021. It has featured in the Top 10 states in the sectors of Ease of Doing Business, District Administration, Police & Safety, Power & Energy, Rural Development, Transport and Water.
Sectors with Maximum Improvement - Assam
Police & Safety
• In District Administration, Assam has improved its rank from No 8 to No 3
• In Police & Safety, Assam has improved its rank from No11 to No 6
• In Transport, Assam has improved its rank from No 5 in 2019 to No 3 in 2022
• In Water, Assam has improved its rank to No 2
First Time Participants Getting National Rank - Assam
Ease of Doing Business
Power & Energy
• Even though participating for the first time, some sectors of West Bengal are ranked in the top positions.
• The state was ranked No 5 in Rural development, No 7 in Ease of Doing Business and No 9 in Power & Energy
Impactful Projects for State of Governance 2021 - Assam
Inclusion is the first magazine dedicated to exploring issues at the intersection of development agendas and digital, financial and social inclusion. The magazine makes complex policy analyses accessible for a diverse audience of policymakers, administrators, civil society and academicians. Grassroots-focused, outcome-oriented analysis is the cornerstone of the work done at Inclusion.