Paschim Gujarat Vij Company Limited (PGVCL), the largest power distribution company of Gujarat
that covers twelve districts, has under its fold more than 45 lakh diversified customers.
The company serves largest area in State, compared to any other power distribution company of the state – and with an unwavering focus on the agriculture sector. The PGVCL has been continuously adopting new initiatives and best practices of the power sector. The Government of Gujarat (GoG) introduced the scheme Kisan Hit Urja Shakti Yojana (KHUSY) in August 2008 in the agriculture sector. This is the High Voltage Distribution System (HVDS) scheme.
Earlier in LT Distribution System, long LT lines supplying the power to AG connections, causing significant line losses and voltage fluctuations. Through the HVDS system, existing LT Distribution Network could be replaced with HVDC, in order to ensure minimum technical losses as well as for restricting electric theft.
- Scattered locations.
- High ratio of LT to HT lines.
- Deteriorating network due to the corrosive effect of the coastal area.
- Unsatisfactory voltage profile and reliability.
- Resistance to the adoption of technological up-gradation from the farmers.
- Over-loaded DTRs and lines.
- High T&D losses.
- High transformer failure rate.
- Huge financial requirement to complete the project and normal development.
The HVDS is basically reduction of LT Lines up to negligible level by converting into HV Lines.The smaller Capacity Distribution Transformers are installed in place of large capacity DTR, thereby eliminating a group of consumers, i.e., individual transformer to largely individual customer. Also smaller groups of nearby agriculture connections are formed without LT Line network.
In HVDS, 11KV line laid up to the consumer point and replaces existing 63KVA transformers with smaller capacity 3-Phase DTR (s) of 10KVA/16KVA or 25KVA serving only one (or a smaller groups of) agricultural consumers from each DTR. All the transformers of capacity above 16kva are preferably energy efficient Distribution Transformers with BEE 3-Star rating.
Existing LT Lines converted into HV Lines by replacing:
- LT 3-Phase 4W converted into 11KV Line.
- Replacement of 4 LTP in installments with 3 – 11KV Pin Insulators.
- Replacement of 4 – LT Shackles with 3 – 11KV Strain Insulators.
- Erection of additional supports wherever clearances are inadequate.
- Erection of smaller capacity Distribution Transformers for individual customers, in 3-Phase, with 10KVA, 16KVA and 25KVA capacity.
- Service connection of individual customers from the newly erected Distribution Transformers.
- Individual DTRs and HV line are installed.
- Improved voltage profile led to improved distribution reliability.
- Low losses due to no LT Network.
- Now only a fewer incidents of transformer failure.
- Avoidance of excess energy purchase.
- Arrest of commercial losses by avoiding unauthorised connections and elimination of energy theft.
- Uninterrupted and reliable power supply for better consumer services.