e-Office—Online File Management & Tracking System—is an online file movement software, designed and implemented by the Collectorate Banaskantha, Government of Gujarat (GoG). Each application received in the registry is scanned and a unique barcode number is generated for application. Under this system, the movement and pendency of file can be observed online at every stage and file location can be traced at a single click. PDF file is generated in soft copy for each application.
In old system, the same work was done through traditional manual application, which made it compulsory to manually tally all the records at the end of the month to trace exact location of files. Consequently, the system offered less transparency and hassleful scheme of things.
In such a backdrop, the District Administration, Banaskantha, felt the need for an Information & Communication Technology (ICT) based application that could re-orient the whole system for speedy disposal, tracing the location of files on a single click and for an efficient work culture.
There was manual registration system for the files and applications that posed several hiccups:
- No uniformity in registration of files.
- Tracking of files was tough.
- No softcopy of the file or application was available.
- Manual record-keeping led to lack of transparency.
- Resistance against the new system.
District Collectorate, Banaskantha’s Application ‘e-Office: Online File Management & Tracking System’ is a new online file processing method that adopts a bar-coded sticker system, which generates a unique barcode number for each file. Further, it provided sufficient number of scanners and computers to each branch—besides providing training to the employees of each branch.
The system effectively helps to solve the issues related to the location of files—and duration of pendency at each step. Moreover, it gathers feedback from different stakeholders and keeps on updating the system till all the technical difficulties get eliminated.
The whole system has been interfaced with a computer via USB cable. An application has been developed to detect the spores automatically in the captured images using digital image analysis technique, thereby improving productivity and accuracy of this process.
The new system has earned dividends by saving on time, resources and manpower by way of switching over from the manual to the online system. A small investment in developing the application has brought in satisfaction for the citizens while incurring miniscule recurring cost to the District Collectorate. Amongst others, the following benefits have accrued:
- Online registry.
- Unique barcode for each application for seamless tracking.
- It ensures online movement of files.
- It traces the location of files on a single click.
- Location and duration of pendency of file at each stage to help eliminate unnecessary delays. It enables speedy disposal.
- It ensures transparency in administration.
- PDF file is generated for each file and record-keeping made safe and secure.
- It helps uploading record in public domain in future as a part of proactive disclosure mandatory under Right to Information Act, 2005.